Family Fun at ASM!
Culture Craft Activities every Saturday in the museum's lobby!
Bring the family to ASM for some enjoyable together-time! Explore and discover in our exhibits in a number of ways. You and the kids will enjoy these activities together:
Hands-On Cultural Activities in the Lobby
10 a.m.–4:00 p.m., free with museum admission
ages 5 and up
These hands-on activities draw on the traditions of the southwestern cultures highlighted in the museum’s exhibits and collections. Different activities each Saturday will include:
- (Native Basketry) Weave a small bowl.
- (Native Pottery) Make a paper pot; do a puzzle pot; play a pottery game.
- (Native Foods/Healthy Eating) Enjoy healthy Native food activities including a harvest game and corn grinding with mano y metate; make a healthy foods bracelet.
- (Cultural Objects) Read a haiku poem and find the artifact it refers to; write your own haiku about your favorite artifact.
- (Navajo) Weave a miniature rug; “card” wool.
- (Yaqui) Make tissue paper flowers, play lotería (Mexican bingo).
- (Mexican) Make a mask; create traditional clothes for Frida Kahlo, play lotería.
- And more! Plus enjoy various discovery hunts and gallery games.
Tuesdays–Saturdays, October through April
Hands-on Discovery Carts
ASM docents set up discovery carts for visitors to learn hands-on about Southwest Native pottery, basketry, and other traditional arts and crafts. Discovery carts are offered occasionally by “docent choice” Tuesday–Saturday afternoons between 1 and 3, October 15 through April 30, and during special museum events. Check at the front desk for more information.
Subject to change according to docent availability.
Activities You Can Do Anytime
Make Your Visit an Adventure!
Go on a Museum Quest or use a Discovery Hunt!
Activites For the Paths of Life Exhibit
Activities For the Pottery Project Exhibit
See our Educational Resources page for more activities for families.
Photos by Jannelle Weakly unless otherwise indicated
This icon indicates link opens in a new window.